Claiming for Slips and Trips Abroad

7th July 2016

Our friendly guide to claiming compensation abroad

injury abroad image by Koldunov Alexey

Image by Koldunov Alexey (via Shutterstock)

For many people, a trip abroad is trouble-free. Getting through customs at both ends of the journey, give or take any waiting times, likewise.

Imagine returning home with an unwanted souvenir of your week or fortnight long holiday. For example, food poisoning from the restaurant. A bad ankle from slipping on the dancefloor. Or a knock on the head from a boat trip. Unless you have an EHIC card and travel insurance, the medical bill could be a bigger headache.

Luckily, help is at hand if you ever came to grief on your holiday. This is where Personal Injury Overseas can save you from your rut.

What could you claim for?

Road Accidents: as detailed in our page on road traffic accidents, incidents abroad could be due to one’s unfamiliarity with roads as well as weather conditions. We at PIO will do our utmost to settle among parties (see our blog post on RTAs) within the laws of the country concerned.

Falls, Slips and Trips: sometimes, slipping on the dance floor or the poolside could be caused by the negligence of the hotel or resort. Falls and trips could be caused by loose paving stones or litter.

Hotel or apartment injuries: your home for the week or fortnight could potentially be the scene of your accident.

Food poisoning: a badly cooked meal could spoil the rest of your holiday if you’re still suffering the after effects. Food poisoning could be caused by undercooked meat or poor hygiene on the premises.

Injuries on a boat trip or cruise ship: whilst in sea tidal conditions have an effect on the passenger’s balance and experience of their crossing. He or she may be rocked about in high tide and likely to injure themselves on the deck.

How can you claim?

If you’re a UK citizen, you can claim  (home or abroad) if your package holiday is booked through a UK-based tour operator. For peace of mind, a package holiday is your best bet. Please note that there is a three-year limit for claims made in the UK under the Package Regulations.

Wherever you’re going, we hope you don’t need to make a claim. If in the unlikely event you need to make a claim, call us on 0333 006 4099, or send us an email to We shall deal with your query in the strictest confidence.

Personal Injury Overseas, 07 July 2016.

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *